Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 26, 2009

What Is Afrowall ?

AS I begin to write this Birthday note for this big test of life called AFROWALL,
The African Online Community,
My mind went back to how it started. It was the uncertainty of when i will be unbanned from a forum i was a good member that led to the development of this forum.
The name "AFROWALL" came from my sense of geographical Imagination.
I used to wonder how wonderful it would be to build a wall around the continental Africa.
From the shores of Cape Town to the Highlands of Tripoli, From the banks of Lagos to the Ocean Cities of Kenya and Somalia. So, i decided to call the Name AFRICAN-WALL. (AFROWALL)
The original idea was to have somewhere to chat and post jokes online with my friends like we did on nairaland but i had no idea how to achieve that.
The only advantage i had was that i used to post a lot of jokes offline to people on my messenger list.
I Registered the Name and started nibbling around the control panel of the host without any idea of what i was doing. Somehow i came across their instructions on how to install a forum script.
I saw phpBB and SMF there and decided to go for SMF since i was already familiar with it.

I followed the instructions carefully and somehow managed to install a forum software with zero percent experience. I started nibbling with all the links i could see on the new forum without any luck until i stumbled on "ADMIN" on the menu bar. It took me to the control panel where i got lost again.
I did that all evening until i was able to figure out how to create boards after over ten hours of doing nothing. Then i started creating boards exactly like that of nairaland forum because that was the only idea i had about a forum :D. Finally i created about five boards including jokes and decided to start inviting friends from my messenger list. I contacted a few people, Thoniaslim, Immaculate, Miss_b_08 and few other people who were on my list. They responded and registered.
It was a great joy for me to see people registering on the forum.
We started making posts and that was it.
The following day i started inviting more people from my list.
Then the first bad news struck, i cant recall what i was doing but afrowall crashed Huh?.
I had to start all over again and begged the members to register again.
They did without being angry (That is why i respect each and every one of them today).
Then the forum crashed again after two more days...
Sad .

I registered on the SMF website and started asking questions. It was not easy getting answers from there though but i had no options. Finally i was able to know the causes of the crashes, so i started avoiding them. I installed a new forum and decided not to stress the same people to register again.
Surprisingly, they started asking me why they couldn't login and i had to form one story or the other for each person to suit his or her question and to make him/her register again.
It was a hard task but they all registered again. My main objective was to maintain the friendly relationship between me and the first group of people who registered here.
They were my friends and we started making the initial posts based on the friendship between us.
It was a great experience for me. That was the reason why i adopted to make the forum as friendly as it could ever be. Amazingly, We have not failed so far.

I go to the SMF website to read questions and answers from experienced admins and apply the knowledge to afrowall until i eventually became very good with the SMF software.
Then i added the board "SMF PROBLEMS" on afrowall where i help people with smf problems.
I thought that since the forum was already there, I could rest but i was wrong.
The task of updating, editing template files, adding modifications manually, upgrading to the latest versions, browsing around the whole forum to fight spam posters and so on was big for me alone.
I managed to pull through though because i had no choice. I stay awake every night until 3am or 4am trying to make sure things were in order.
I fell in love with afrowall, not because i started it but because it thought me that with determination,
"ONE CAN ALWAYS ACHIEVE ANYTHING NO MATTER HOW SMALL"

One thing i have learnt while developing this forum is that nothing is as easy as it seems.
"Sometimes you get discouraged because the future of your project is vague"
What i promised myself from day one was that i will put every member of afrowall first before any other thing here. So far, i have searched the whole forum to see if someone said something against me or against any other member of the forum and i have found none.
To me, Afrowall is very special because i came to know much about other people.
How they behave, how they talk, how they reason and what they like.

As we move on with our dear forum, let us not forget how it started and let us not forget what it stand for.

I will have to send special Thanks to some members of the forum.
Not because they are more special, talented or good looking but because they stood with the forum all along. I hope and pray that someday , this website will be able to have our names written where it can never be erased again.

Samson - The Forum Manager. What makes me special on the forum is that i managed to be everybody's friend and put everything under control without making a single enemy. My dedication to the success of afrowall can easily be defined by the time i spent on it.
My profile says i spent 75 days on afrowall. 75 days times 24 hours = 1800 hours. Divide 1800 hours by 365 days and you get 5 hours. That's how many hours i spent on afrowall from 26 April 2008 to date without skipping one day. I also stood like a rock, despite small talks about how i am going to abandon the forum within a very short period. My advice to people is "Do all you have to do and leave the rest to God. It is always very bad for good people to sit back and do nothing"
My promise to you all is that i will not only keep the light on, I will make sure that this will not only become the most user friendly forum in the Whole of Africa, but also the most beautiful, dynamic and flexible Public forum where every body will have a lot of options on how to use the forum.

Immaculate - Our special Global Moderator. No matter how many times members of this forum including me tried to make her angry, she always ignore the small problems and continue being a dedicated member. There was a time it was just her and me trying to satisfy every section here with posts. Afrowall proudly appreciate your hard work and friendliness here which defines our concept. Keep up the good work.
Word from the admin : "There is no evil that can subdue goodness forever" Stay Blessed and happy.

Gabby : The warm and friendly Asian. Your ability to cope with the African style of talks and behaviour without getting upset easily is what singled you out as a special Character.
What i have learnt from you is that the whole world can easily become one if only we can tolerate each other like you do, and if not for the selfishness of some people who believe that they are more special than others . You also stood with us from the day you came here. We will make sure you are appreciated all the time here. Afrowall may not be big now, but it has only one option : TO BECOME BIG.
I wont ever forget who you are and what you stand for.
Word from the admin : Keep up your style of life for nothing is worth taking away laughter from us, even for a minute.

Sholami - Our Newest Global moderator. The Energy You brought with you to the forum surprised me and it earned you the Moderator status faster than any other member of the forum. You came in and it was easy for you to adapt because the people who welcomed you were very friendly bunch of people. I believe you have witnessed that there is nothing like a friendly environment. Its a great thing that we all share the same philosophy about life.
Its true we all strive to make life easier for ourselves but we must not forget to live the life we are trying to better.
Words from the admin : Never forget to stretch the arms of genuine friendship to people even if you don't know them. The goods that come out of it is bigger than the bads.


Regaltopax - Our Sports Editor. One thing i have learnt about him is that he value friendliness and sharing of ideas so much. The sports section of the forum was boring until he showed up, his ability gave me the reason to expand the section to become a forum inside a forum. I know you don't live in Europe or Africa where the sports are being played,
But your passion for the forum and sports made it possible for you to become our best sports editor. Keep up the good work.
Words from the admin : I personally vote you the MODERATOR OF THE MOMENT, not because you are my best friend on the forum but because it is what you deserved.

Dhtml - Our computer expert. We appreciate your effort on the tech related sections. I believe many people will learn so much from people like you here on the forum.
I became comfortable with you not because you are good with what you do but because you also share our philosophy of doing good things whenever you can.
Words from the admin : The little thing you did for someone today could make him/her a great person tomorrow. Don't ever hesitate to do good.

Spenchuks - Our Education Moderator. Although you are one of those people who came in here to have fun and chat. I once told someone that you resembled my younger brother and that made me take you as my younger brother.
I personally turned you to education section because i want you to know that there are so many things you can do without knowing. You managed to be holding up so far.
We appreciate your effort so far and we want you to know that there are no limits to what a human being can do or achieve. Keep on doing what you have to do. Time will give us the fruits of our labour.

Hilda - My little sweetheart.. You are my first relative to show up here and stood. Thanks for your encouragement so far. Remember what i told you, Keep being a good girl that you are.
Thanks for standing behind your Brother. Afrowall appreciates your effort so far.

R_o_b_b_y - The big boy. You are among the top members of the year.
You came in right from the beginning and stood with us even when things were still boring over here.
We wont forget the time you spent with us. Keep doing your thing and remember you have concubines around here who misses you when you are not around.

Tosin - My friendly friend. We appreciate your contributions on the forum so far. Although you don't frequent like you used to but i am sure that the reason is something you cant help. We will keep the door open until you start making us feel happy here again.

Pcgeekgirl - Irrespective of the fact that your are busy with some projects for now, we really appreciate your efforts on the forum when you had enough time for us.
We will be glad to have your full attention back when you are less busy.
We Thank you for your contributions to the development of the WALL.

Freelance, Derby, Dennisfreeworld, Soccerfanbase and many more.
I know you people run your different website forums. I know its not easy to deal with this software called SMF. Like dhtml said on his signature here " codes are like puzzles' Although i am pretty booked up to help sometimes, but it never hurt to ask for help. If you have anything i can help you do on the forums, don't hesitate to mail me. I might not be disposed to do that right away but You guys knows that i will whenever i can. My advice to you people is simple : Do whatever good you can whenever you can. We Will be happy later on in life by looking back at the good things we did for people.

Ayisha - I remember that faithful day i brought you in here. It was not far behind though but you have been very active since then. We look forward to bringing you in to the staff team very soon. I hope you will do us the honour to join the staff. We love you here and we love your wise posts and friendliness too. Keep up your things and don't look back. Good people are always welcomed here.

Miss_b_08 - We thank you for supporting the forum right from the beginning. We miss you a lot each time we don't see you here.

Dani1luv - One of our most consistent members. Thanks for your love of the forum and thanks for always listening when i tell you that we have to do certain things differently.
I personally thank you for your encouragement and appreciation of my work here.

engrhamid - One of the new boys i encourage everyday to bring out the management capabilities in them. I want you to always believe that there is nothing you cant handle if given the proper orientation and equipments. Nobody is born to do anything special. We are all good, just that we all don't have equal opportunities. Thanks for your dedication to afrowall. History will someday remind all of us how we strived to make this place a reality.

We are many on afrowall now. There is no way i can name everyone here but i want you out there to know that we have your interests in our heart. We love you the way we love other members. We respect you the way we respect other members and we appreciate your contributions here. In this Journey of life , There is nothing so important to me than to see people laugh and have sense of belonging. We are all equal and we will remain equal until the end of time. If i intimidated you in any way, please forgive me.

We might not be celebrating the birthday with glasses of Champagne in our hands now, But surely the time for that will soon come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Afrowall

Search This Blog

Followers